Taking a dip in your backyard pool on a hot summer’s day is refreshing, relaxing and a great way to beat the heat, but before you cool off, ask yourself, “How clean is my pool?” If you haven’t done pool maintenance in while, we recommend these 10 ways you can keep your pool’s water looking crystal clear at all times.
Besides keeping the water clear, remember that a clean pool is a healthy pool. The following tips will make your pool look more inviting than the ocean on a hot New England day.
- Skim it: Regularly remove organic materials like leaves and insects from the water. Also clean out the skimmer baskets weekly.
- Chemistry: Check the pool’s chemistry at least once a week.
- De-hair: Turn off the pump to remove hair and lint from it. This should be done every 2-3 weeks that the pool is in active use.
- Watch the water: Monitor the pool’s water level regularly. Too much water causes overflow and damage to the tiles and area around the pool.
- Caulk: Fill in any cracks around the pool to prevent water from seeping in.
- Reduce build-up: In order to reduce build-up in the pool, wipe the tile clean on a weekly basis.
- Keep chemicals out of sight: Pool chemicals such as chlorine need to be kept out of the sun. Store these materials in a cool, dry place such as a shed. Also, do not store chlorine right next to other materials such as acid or salt. Make sure there is a space between the chlorine and other chemicals because it can be reactive and lose its effectiveness.
- Chlorine check: Monitor your chlorinator weekly to ensure the readings are stable. Adjust tablets as necessary to maintain proper chlorine levels.
- Clean your filters: You should be cleaning your filters every few weeks but this is especially important after a heavy storm. If you live on the coast, you will need to clean your filters even more often since heavy lake winds can carry debris right into your pool. You can soak your dirty pool filters in a special cleaning solution that is available at most home hardware stores.
- Schedule a cleaning: Calling a professional to have them come clean your pool is always a good idea. There may be areas you’ve missed while performing your regular pool maintenance.
Contact Ferrari Pools for more information about keeping your pool clean. While you’re at it, you might as well schedule an appointment for maintenance.